Has anyone had success with Neopolydex drops (for eyes & nose) for kitten with congestion from a URI?

Ramona is a 10 week old Maine Coon that we just adopted. She has a worsening URI. She had her 3rd vet visit today because her congestion is awful. They initially gave her Clavamox to prevent secondary infection & Erythromycin ointment for her conjunctivitis. She had a 104 degree fever that is now resolved, but I feel like her drainage from her eyes & nose has increased. Also, she is eating normally, but has definitely become more lethargic since yesterday. The vet prescribed the Neopolydex drops for her eyes & nose. I'd love to hear from others who have had experience with this, so I can't least have some hope for this little one! I've never had a sick animal & it breaks my heart to see her like this. Also, if anyone has suggestions to help improve her congestion, I am open to anything that will help her! I bought a humidifier a few days ago, but I don't think it really has had an effect on her. Thank you!!

Asked by Member 1138289 on Oct 30th 2012 Tagged kittens, viruses in Medications

Answers

I am sorry to hear of your pet's health, but she seems to be on the mend. I have used this medication with favorable results for my dog for eye infections, twice now over a couple of years. It was prescribed along with Atropine Sulfate Ophthalmic Ointment 1% for pain associated with the eye infection. Both of these medications are available online and are inexpensive. The ointment should make your kitten more comfortable. The prescription states "Apply 1/8 inch of ointment to both eyes once daily for pain. Will cause pupils to dilate. Keep patient from bright light."