Skuya

Has anyone had experience with Imulan or LTCI (Lymphocyte T-Cell Immunomodulator) for treatment of a FeLV positive cat?

One of the kittys here that came in last winter tested neg last spring, was sick on and off, and now tests positive and is very anemic. Evidently he was positive all along, it just didn't show up on the first test. Thankfully, he has been separate in his own area because he was aggressive to other kitties even when separated by a door. He sure was wild. Sadly, he is well behaved and gentle now, but he has this illness. Our vet is trying this treatment aid.
LTCI just came out a month and a half ago. There is limited data and our vet hasn't used it before. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Thanks in advance.

Asked by Skuya on Nov 23rd 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Hi Skuya!

Please advise how the kitty is doing, now that he is receiving LTCI.

Has the treatment caused any unwanted side effects, i.e. constant thirst/increase in water intake, bloating, kidney, heart problems, vomiting, lethargy, skin ailments, vision loss, new lumps or bumps, etc......

I am considering LTCI for one of my cats who was diagnosed with FIV, hence I want to make sure that I am not exposing my cat to a more serious health threat.

Thanks for your help!!!

we took in a stray in Nov 2008 who is positive for FeLV and has become severely anemic in the last month. We have him on interferon one week on one week off. We started him on LTCI 4 weks ago ( and had to get him a transfusion to stabilize). He seems to be doing well. I am interested in your experience or any one else's experience with this drug. Thanks!

Fergus

My cat tested positive for FIV and FeLV and after four healthy years he became thin and listless. Although it was VERY expensive, I was desperate and asked my vet to try LCTI from Imulan. After three shots our beloved Fergus died anyway. I'm not saying that this treatment always fails, but the company puts its money into marketing rather than rigorous clinical trials. If this "treatment aid" were really effective, it would be in every veterinary journal, but so far only one clinical trial has been published and that only involved about half a dozen cats. DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!! Imulan has a long, long way to go before they can claim to have an effective treatment for these terrible diseases.

Fergus answered on 10/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Be careful. My cat just passed away two days ago right after she got the shot. She was a very petite and frail cat and I think her body and immune system just couldn' t handle the medication. I'm not saying that the medication doesn't work. In fact it may work wonderfully for larger cats. But if your cat is small and petite and the feline leukemia is in it's more advanced stages(like my cat) I wouldn't recommend it. She unfortunately passed away the day after the shot. But please don't let my words make you not want to try it.It just might save your cat. My cat was very petite and not your average cat in terms of size.She was also in the advanced stages of feline leukemia and could hardly bare all the other medications they were giving her. So be careful and mindful if considering this particular medication