Hunter Devious

Has anyone ever had urethra surgery in a male cat

Mom is in tears.I am back to straining to pee.Even after 2 doses of antibiotics and eating the special prescription food.I go back to the vet tomorrow to see what is up and Mom doesn't know how she is going to afford everything if I need surgery to have my urethra enlarged.She also is worried if the alternation will cause me to have behavior problems or will it make Hannah fight with me.Has any one had this done to their male cats and how did it turn out.It is going to be a sleepless night for Mom tonight.She has been trying not to cry because she knows me seeing her stressed will stress me.

Asked by Hunter Devious on Apr 22nd 2014 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Hi, you need to calm down because your cat will sense your anxiety. At least you noticed... I have four cats and did not, until one day I saw Panda (age 15) trying to pee with nothing coming out. I took him to the vet the next day and he peed blood all over the vet's table. He had stones the size of marbles that he could not pass and was in considerable pain. Your cat had a different kind of surgery than mine, but it costs $2,000. Look into pet insurance or payment plans that your vet has available. Panda was 8 then, he is 15 now and besides a thyroid tumor, he's doing great. He eats special vet food at $60 a bag, but it's worth it because he's here with me and happy. He's grandpa to the new kitten and surgery is good because it relieves the pain. Cats instinctually hide any illnesses, so don't delay surgery if it will make him happy and healthy again. When one cat is weaker, sometimes the other will attack, and if this happens all that you have to do is separate them until he heals.

Argyll

I agree with Panda Bear - stay calm. The suggestions over insurance &/or payment plan are valid too! My Cuddles had the same surgery when he was younger. The one thing I had to watch for were the on-going urinary tract infections (UTIs). He was 17.5 people years when he went to join his grandmother.

Argyll answered on 5/4/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, have one who had the surgery years ago. Although his surgery site has grown to be a tiny tiny little hole, he can still pee as usual. There was no behavioral problem. He's been quite normal. Now 15.