greasy tail on a maine coone

i have tried different shampoos on my maine coones tail like dawn dish detergent and suave clairifiyying shampoo to no avail. Please help! I do not Know how to remove this mess! I have talked to a person at a cat show and they said to go to groomersgoop.com . and everytime I go there, I can't get in. I would appreciate if someone has any suggestions on any grooming tips for maine coone cats that would help me with this situation without harming his health. I do not want to use any product that will harm my cat in any way or make him sick. I am just looking for a remedy to fix his greasy tail. Any suggestions would be greatly accepted. Any Maine Coone owners out there, please help and come the rescue of a fellow Maine Coone owner trying to make their cat look presentable even though he is not a show cat but rather a loving home cat. I am sorry I am not interested in the tips to buy John Frieda products to make my cat look show spectacular. Greasy tail. Please help! THank

Asked by Member 798943 on Jan 31st 2009 Tagged mainecoongrooming in Grooming

Answers

This is called "stud tail". Regular shampoo usually doesn't do the trick, since it doesn't remove oily substances very well. Repeated use of Dawn can also cause irritation. You can put baby powder on it, and brush that off. Diet can influence this as well, so maybe try changing the food and see what happens. If he's not neutered, that may help as the oil at the base of the tail is also used to "mark" territory. You can also try using an acne wash with benzoyl (spelling?) peroxide in it. That may unblock the pores around his tail. Make sure anything you use like that is rinsed extremely well so he doesn't ingest it.

Harvey

Stud tail is the bane of Maine Coon owners. Usually, however, it is limited to unneutered males. Has your cat been neutered? If not, and if you're not using him as a stud cat or showing him as a Champion, neutering is the first strategy. As for cleaning greasy fur, I swear by Groomer's Goop. If you can't access them by Internet, try calling, or go to a cat show, where they are usually selling the stuff (one tub will last you a long time). If Dawn dish detergent doesn't work, you can try any other dish detergent--after all, dish detergents should be non-toxic as they are used to clean plates that people eat off of! I would advise you to avoid shampoos with conditioner--conditioner is the last thing your cat needs. Another idea is Woolite. One key to remember is that RINSING thoroughly is almost as important as the shampoo--rinse for several minutes if necessary. A final rinse of white vinegar also helps cut the soap residue, which in itself attracks dirt and grease. Good luck!

Harvey answered on 2/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer