Free dry food plus mix of wet/dry twice a day?

I adopted two kittens a few months back and I've been reading some stuff online lately and want to make sure that I am feeding them correctly.

They are both about 8 months old now and what I have been doing is leaving dry food out for them to snack on when they are hungry. Then I will feed them wet food (mixed with dry food) 3 times a day using about (1) 3oz can per cat per day. Does this sound right or too much or too little? They never seem to be hungry and always have enough water and never seem to over-indulge in the free dry food as that lasts for a few days out before I need to refill it.

Thanks for your help & suggestions!

Asked by Member 1139711 on Nov 8th 2012 Tagged food, nutrition, cats, feeding, wetfood, dryfood in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I can only share with you my experience with feeding my (adult) cats. What and how to feed is a hotly contested subject on Catster and there will be as many people who disagree with me as agree with me. The only one who can give you a definitive answer is your vet, who can tell by examining your kittens if they are prone to being over or underweight. I have 3 cats and I also free feed dry food (Purina 1 Indoor Advantage) Each cat gets 1/3 of a small can of food twice a day. It's more of a "treat" for them than a nutritional supplement. Occasionally I will indulge them in human grade tuna which they love. My cats are healthy, active and sleek and my vet is pleased with them. I would not leave the wet/dry mix out more than a few hours, though, as it can spoil quickly. If they don't gobble it up, dump it out. You can also visit our forums page which not only has a kitten forum but also a few food forums to share your experience and questions with other cat lovers.

Emma

A good rule of thumb;
Feed them, leave their food 20 mins, take it away, they are full.
I don't let my 3 cats free feed, I feed them twice a day (breakfast and dinner). That way they're always sure to eat their meals. Plus, fresh water daily!!

Emma answered on 11/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer