For the 2nd year in a row, my vet told me my cat has to lose 3lbs.

For the 2nd year in a row, my vet told me my cat has to lose 3lbs. So, I have switched her from part canned/part dry to all canned. She is eating twice per day for a total of 2.8 oz of a very high quality organic all fish high protein food. (She used to eat 3 oz canned in the evening and 1/3 cup dry in the morning) Is 2.8 oz enough for an 8 yr old, 11 pound cat (needs to be 8 lbs) that is an indoor cat? She doesn't exercise alot, although we do play games.

Asked by Member 1156928 on Feb 25th 2013 Tagged canned, howmuch in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Joey

Food is a hot topic on these boards and everyone has a different opinion - I can tell you what worked for my cat Joey. Joey was free fed dry food for the first 7 years of his life - then he developed bladder stones. Following his surgery we moved to an all wet diet - 3oz in the morning and 3oz at night - that's it. Joey is a particularly finicky eater and really will only eat Fancy Feast - so that is what we stick with. He has lost 7lbs in 7 years and went from 22lbs to 15lbs in a healthy way. If cats lose weight too fast they can develop hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) and the outcome can be very poor. Slow and steady wins the race. Eliminating the dry was enough for Joey - and over time we increased his activity. It may take time to figure out what will work for your baby - when you find it - stick with it. Good luck.

Joey answered on 2/25/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer