Sally

Flying with my cat?

I will be relocating to Denver Colorado from Long Island NY. I have never flew with my Sally before. Can anyone give me information on how this will work. I am soo nervous to fly with her. We have driven to southern Florida after hurricane Sandy, I would drive 5 or 6 hours, then stop for the night at a hotel. But the whole flying, the take off and stuff. I'm scared she will freak out. She is on a steriod for asthma, so I don't know if I can give her any anxiety pill for the flight. I don't think I would drive her all the way there, that would be too much, too long. Please any advice or tips would be soo helpful!

Asked by Sally on Feb 19th 2013 in Air Travel

Answers

Two places you need to contact are the airline you will be flying with and also your vet. Since Sally has health issues, you need the advice of her vet on how to handle this and whether or not medicating her is an option. Also, each airline has different regulations on flying with your pet.

The number one thing is to talk with your vet.

I can help with #2. When you book your ticket you'll need to call the airline and not just do it online. Last time I flew it was something like $100 to fly with an in-cabin pet.

You're also going to need a small pet carrier - each airline has the approved dimensions on their websites. We have a hard-sided carrier that is the smallest dimensions offered that we use only for flying. We put a towel in the carrier and then - my biggest suggestion - got cheap fleece fabric, doubled it over, and cut a hold for the handle so there was always a cover over the carrier. I think this helped him stay calm and it also made me worry less about temperature (kitty will be on the floor).

/c/