FIP Vaccine Recommended?

Hi, I was just told by my vet that I should get the FIP vaccine since it's a part of the prepaid vaccine package I had bought. However, I've done some research over the Internet, and this vaccine seems to be quite controversial. Does anyone have any experience/opinion on this vaccine?

Also, we will be moving cities this weekend, and I had seen on a site to not give your cat the vaccine if he/she is about to undergo any stress...

Your input is appreciated!

Asked by Member 795937 on Jul 14th 2009 in Vaccinations

Answers

Verterinarians have different opinions about this vaccine. Anyone who has ever lost a cat or kittens to FIP (I have) would be the first in line to get this vaccine. But I have heard that it does not prevent the disease. My daughter's cats have all had this vaccination and none have contracted this horrific disease. My cats have not had the innoculation and none of them have had it, either. I think the main thing is to be very careful if you bring a new cat into your environment if you have other cats. Keep them separate including litter boxes, food dishes, etc. If the vaccine is not that costly, I would go ahead and have my cats innoculated, but not count on it to prevent the disease 100%.

Hunter

The American Association of Feline Practitioners and the Academy of Feline Medicine Advisory Panel on Feline Vaccines published the 2nd version of vaccination guidelines for cats.
Considerable controversy surrounds the ability of the only FIP vaccine to prevent disease. Some studies demonstrate protection from disease while others show little benefit from vaccination. At this time, there is no evidence that the vaccine induces clinically relevant protection, and its use is not recommended.
vetmedicine.about.com

Hunter answered on 7/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer