Finding claws around the house. Why?

My two year old, Joy (obviously not declawed) leaves claws around the house. Is something hurting her and making her claws come out or do cats simply shed their claws? If so, would a cat scratcher be the answer? I'm constantly finding little claws and although she has all her claws now they're at different lenghthes and some are a bit mangled and ready to fall off. Is this normal? Thanks! :)

Asked by Member 1109247 on May 29th 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Cats' claws grow in layers like an onion. One of the reasons cats scratch things is to help the outer layers peel off. What you are seeing around the house are those older, outer layers. Perfectly normal.

Monster is right. The first time I found a claw in the cat's water bowl, I freaked out too, but our friends here on Catster assured me that it was pefectly normal. Just one caution, though, keep an eye on Joy's feet and if you notice her chewing on her paws, any blood or irritations to her feet, contact your vet as ask for advice.

Sheba

Try trimming her claws. Look it up on the web to find out how! :)

Sheba answered on 6/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer