Female cat urinating on owner

Hi.
I have a three year old female cat that has been an absolute joy up until two days ago. She's never had an accident in the house. For the last two nights in a row, she has jumped up into the bed with my boyfriend and I and peed on me. She only pees on me and doesn't have any other accidents in the house. My boyfriend and I just moved in together 2 months ago, so she went from being an only cat to living with two other female cats. I'm guessing this may be some sort of behavorial issue. I'd really like other people's input and any suggestions, as I love her and want to work through this. Thank you!

Asked by Member 825108 on Apr 10th 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

We always recommend taking your kitty to her vet for a urinalysis to rule out a urinary tract infection, but chances are she is stressed out by the other cats and is marking you as her owner, telling the other cats "hands off" when it comes to you. You may want to move her litter box away from the other cat's boxes if they are all in the same room. You may also want to put more litter boxes around so she doesn't have to look for one. But as far as urinating just on you, she is definitely telling the other cats that you are her territory. It will probably get better as she gets used to living with the other cats, but you will play a large part in this adjustment. Love her up as much as you can. Play with her, give her treats, spend as much time as you can with her to assure her that you still love her. You know you still love her but she may not be so sure right now.

Gracie

I heard of a situation exactly like yours a couple of years back. The humans thought it was just stress at first, but as it turns out it was something more: the resident cat developed a UTI as a result of being stressed about having to share litterboxes with the other cats stalked, and ultimately developed crystals as a result of it.

My suggestions are as follows:
1) go to the vet and ask for a urine culture, that will definitely identify a UTI. Do it asap, because urinary health problems in cats can definitely worsen very quickly.
2) examine the litterbox set up in the new situation, specifically make sure she has a box she can call her own, and that she can go there without being pounced on by the other two girls. This might mean having about 4 boxes for 3 cats, mind you.
3) create areas that allow your kitty to have alone time from the other cats. This might mean she gets "her own room" (w/ food, toys and litterbox) to stay in whenever no humans are home to supervise the cats.

Gracie answered on 4/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer