Boomer

Eye discharge in flat-faced cats? Could this be causing his sneezing/snorting?

Boomer is in my profile picture. He was a little over a yr old when I got him and is now over 7 yrs old. He had the eye infection/discharge when I got him. I've tried it all! Have spent a lot of $$ trying to treat it and it just keeps coming back. Vet gave me a tube of antibiotic eye ointment. We are now through the whole tube and it's back again. He hates me doing anything to his eyes, but is getting better at letting me clean them, though I think he's lost some trust in me since giving him the ointment *sigh.*. He recently started snorting and sneezing, and I thought maybe this discharge gets into his nose...even though I try to clean his nose daily too. He seems to swallow after these snorting episodes, like he's getting a lot of phlegm. I run a (clean)humidifier in the winter when the heats on, but not a lot. He also has dry skin problems. He's not due for his check up for a few mos, so is there anything I can give him for this? Can the vet give him a shot for the discharge?

Asked by Boomer on Dec 6th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Did your cat come from a reputable breeder? Most come with a health guarantee, so I'm thinking no. In inbred purebreeds, health problems are chronic and it's best to learn how to deal with them. We like HomeoPet nose relief drops for cats, they seem to work although my pets do not have brachocephalic heads. You can also try a homeopathic vet for natural remedies, but understand that he is middle age and your goal should not be in curing, but rather keeping him comfortable for the remainder of this life. ^_^