Every night when i get home from work around midnight my cat waits for me till I get home. He smacks my ankle. Why?

When i come home late at night my cat is right there at the stairs just waiting for me. I take a shower and he's right there sitting on the toilet! then i get out and try to walk to my bed then he runs up and bites my ankles. Is he mad at me for not being with him all day? i need help. he's 3.

Asked by Member 978297 on Mar 29th 2010 in Cats & Kids

Answers

Joey

Yes - he misses you! He is looking for interaction - does he have any playmates at home or is he an only cat? Do you have at least 20 minutes a day that you can devote to play and cuddles for him? I had a similar experience with my cat Joey - he had separation anxiety because he was alone all day - he would attack me as I was leaving. Try to spend some extra time with him and ensure him that you love him and will make time for him. I adopted a companion for Joey - Phoebe - and it's going well so far - but that might not be the right option for you. Start with play sessions and maybe buy some interactive toys for him when you are not home.

Joey answered on 3/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Joey is right. You have done a good job convincing your kitty that you are the pack or "pride" leader. When a member of a lion pride or a wolf pack goes away for any reason and then returns, especially if it's the Alpha Male or Female (as you are) the other members joyfully great the returning member with lots of howls, roars, wrestling, etc. Your cat is trying to get your attention any way he can. He's desperate for your attention. He needs playtime and cuddles from you, even if you don't particularly feel like it. You can always play with him with a feather teaser while you are watching television or reading. He just wants a little pawrent time with you!