Ernie

Ernie has very long fur he is a big fluf ball. He licks the fur and gets terrible hair balls.help he is brushed dailey

he gets constipated I give him the hairball cat food and also use Laxatone.help I was thinking of having his fur cut shorter.

Asked by Ernie on Apr 16th 2008 in Vitamin Supplements

Answers

Those "lion cuts" for long haired cats are absolutely adorable and if it gives Ernie some relief, so much the better!

Spike

What a beautiful big boy you have! But before you have his fur cut shorter, why don't you try these ideas. First, Ernie looks a bit overweight. Yes, Maine Coons and Maine Coon mixes are supposed to be BIG,but that doesn't mean fat. When a cat is fat, it has trouble grooming itself properly (I myself can't reach all over my body with my tongue the way I used to). This could mean that Ernie just can't manage all the dead hair. Number two: combing is more effective than brushing. A steel comb with both fine and wider teeth is ideal. It might be hard at first to tease out any mats, but a comb definitely gets out more dead hair. Maine Coon breeders and cat show exhibitors use combs more than brushes. Number three: Have you tried bathing Ernie? He might not like it, but a good bath is GREAT for getting out clumps of dead hair. Any pet shop shampoo or even dish detergent is fine. And rinse, rinse, rinse! Try these before you give your beautiful boy a buzz cut!

Spike answered on 4/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oscar and Spot are right. I had a cat named "Shizzle" that looked EXACTLY like Ernie. I also have Delilah now who is long-haired. I found that giving them 'catgrass' available at local pet super-stores (or you can go to a garden center and buy catnip, wheatgrass, or rye seeds and save yourself money) is GREAT for Delilah to bring up those hairballs. She's not too careful about where she "yaks" but it's better than spending money at the vets. Also, I purchased a "mat buster" razor/comb at Drs. Foster & Smith online to help with those awful mats. I got a Furminator too, but the Mat Buster works better. The Lion Cuts ARE cute, but Delilah told me she'd claw my face off at night when I was sleeping if I ever did that to her. She is, you see, the Ultimate Diva. However, if she keeps getting belly mats and biting me when I try to groom her, she will spend the summer looking like a black lion. ;-)