Libby

Don't you think it should be mandatory for all animals to be spayed/ neutered unless the owners are certified breeders?

Well, I do. There are so many irresponsible owners who "breed" their animals to; get money, see "the miracle of birth", or to let their animals be "parents". These are all the wrong reasons! Also, even if you have an intact cat/dog and don't plan on breeding, you should get them fixed cause an accident can happen and you end up with unwanted kittens/ puppies who either end up dead due to lack of knowledge, abandoned in the streets, or given to already over-crowded pounds/shelters. So if your reading this and your cat/ dog is intact and your not a certified breeder, please go and get them fixed. There are so many benefits to having a fixed pet, too many to mention in this question. Don't you think it should be mandatory to have your animals fixed now? Thank you for your time!

Asked by Libby on Mar 27th 2009 Tagged spay, neuter, fix, legal, mandatory, better, irresponsible, breeding, cats, dogs, pounds, shelters, homeless in Animal Welfare

Answers

This is a very controversial issue. There should be a legislation such as this, but it's very difficult to interfere in people's lives and tell them what to or not to do. This is why those of us who work in animal rescue work so hard to raise money to institute and facillitate juvenile spay/neuter and we also spay/neuter all homeless animals that we take in. And, we try very hard to educate people about the benefits of spay/neuter not only to their personal pet, but also to the environment. Sometimes one needs to go "in the back door" so to speak to get things done.

Even Breeding is a little sketchy. One of my friends breeded ragdoll cats and she would have 14 cats in the house most of the time. She would sell cats but I never understood why she always had that many cats around. She had to give up the breeding because she planned on moving and I have no idea what happened to all of those cats. I will never buy a cat when there are so many free kitties that need homes.

There's pending legislation in our county that would require all pets to be spayed and/or neutered and requiring all breeders to be licensed. My only other question is about people who show their dogs and cats. Those animals have to be intact to show. How do you accommodate those folks?

It can be sticky situation.

Personally, I don't necessarily think it's wrong to let Fluffy have a litter or two in order to witness "the miracle of birth." For people who have been unable to have children of their own, this can truly be a miracle. Kittens raised in someone's home are often happier and healthier than shelter cats, who may come complete with ear mites, URIs, and what have you. The caveat is that the person who lets Fluffy give birth MUST find good homes for them. As for breeders, what do you mean by a "certified" breeder? The facts are these: hobby breeders breed because they love cats, and there will always be people who want purebred cats. And there is not much money to be made through breeding; quite the opposite. Also, I can't imagine anyone making money from breeding moggies. Yes, shelter cats need homes. But so do human children in underdeveloped countries who have been orphaned or abandoned. Would you feel guilty about having your own children rather than adopting?

Chibi answered on 3/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I do think that only licensed breeders and people who show cats should be able to keep them intact. But even then, I know of breeders who should not be allowed to just go crazy and have what I think of at "kitty mills" either. But there is no way to regulate that nor do I want to live in a place that thinks it can. My state requires that my cats have rabies vaccinations and they do. But exactly WHO is keeping track of that? Nobody. If somebody shows up at my door, I can produce a rabies certificate for each one and a vet bill for their spay. But the odds of that happening are about zero unless somebody complains about the number of cats I have. Also a zero chance because they do not leave the house and other than my friends, family and other Catster members, only my vet knows how many I have. What I think would be most effective is a program like Massachusetts has where they provide a certificate to help with the cost of the spay/neuter. Not a law, but an incentive.

Vern

Yes I beleive t should be manitory but how to regulate it. I beleive that animals shoud be spayed/neutered if only for the animals health.
Female cats can get breast cancer if they aren't spayed. Male cats get testicular cancer.
To save them the agony of that in itself would be enough. then of course there are all the unwanted babies that come out of not being spayed/neutered.
thankyou

Vern answered on 3/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

YES YES YES A MILLION TIMES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chance

no they just have to be responsable

Chance answered on 11/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer