Phoebe

Does my cat need more fiber in her diet?

I seem to poop often enough...but it's always rock-hard! I also LOVE to chew on plastic sacks...My mom read on another site that this could be a sign that I need more fiber in my diet. Is this crazy? Has anyone else ever heard of any of this?!

Asked by Phoebe on Feb 14th 2008 Tagged poop, fiber, diet, chewing, food in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Mozza (forever loved)

The reasons Izzie gave are right. I've read that the chemicals used to make many plastic bags have a similar odour (to cats' more sensitive noses) to the fats in their diet. Since cats love fatty things (not having the sweet tooth that humans have), the bags often attract many cats. It's fairly common from what I hear from others. So it's not due to lack of fibre.

Like Izzie said, it more likely too little water in the diet. Adding a bit to dry kibble (only enough for a small meal so it doesn't get soggy) can help, as can adding canned food. Lactulose is a liquid med (syrupy) that can be added to their food. Only a little is needed daily. It's OTC in Canada but prescrip in the States (ask your vet). It's safe as it's also used for babies. It's not absorbed by the body but used by beneficial gut bacteria while also drawing extra water into the stools to keep them softer.

For more info, email me at Mozza's page. I used it for 2 yr for my crf cat, Medusa (they get constipated easily).

Mozza (forever loved) answered on Feb 14th.

Answers

I've never heard of cats chewing on plastic sacks because they need more fiber. They usually chew on non-food items because the items once HAD food in them and they can smell the residuals. Or, they like the crackling noise the sacks make. Or..they're just plain bored! You may want to make sure that Phoebe doesn't ingest the plastic as that could cause blockages and big-time vet bills. Get her some cat treats to chew on and make sure she doesn't have access to the sacks. As for the, um...poop situation, cats often have dry little poops because they don't drink enough water. Wet food is 75% water content, so if she'll eat a canned food, try her on that. Dry food does have more fiber in it, but if she's already eating dry food, she's probably getting enough fiber. If you do change her diet, make sure you do it slowly. Add a little of the new food in with the old for a while unti Phoebe becomes used to the new food.

Cleo (The Queen)

A water fountain helped get more water into our diet-we just love it. The pet store also sells oils that can be added to dry food to help "balance things out." Good Luck :)

Cleo (The Queen) answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oscar J. loves plastic sacks too but it's because of the noise they make. He loves anything that makes that sound.

As far the poop thing, Oscar's not wild about wet cat food, so our vet also said we can give him a scoop of plain tuna (packed in water) about once a week to help keep him regular. I usually give him about half a can. He LOVES it.

Hope this helps!!

Nacho (in loving memory)

Try adding supplements to your diet, like "Udos Pet Essentials for Cats". This product worked really well for me and helped "un-stuff" me. I really hated the taste of Lactulose so it never had a chance to help me poop. As for the chewing on plastic, my mom heard from the vet that cats will do this if their gums and/or teeth are bothering them. For some reason, the chewing seems to soothe their gums. Maybe you need a dental exam? Hope you are doing better soon!

Nacho (in loving memory) answered on 2/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer