Does my cat count as a grazer? And if so, how should I change how I feed him?

I've read that grazing leads to cats overeating, but I'm not sure this qualifies. He's supposed to have 3/4 cup of dry food ever day, which I have split into three meals, 1/4 cup each. He doesn't eat all of the meal at once; he'll finish it over the course of a few hours. Does this count as grazing and/or free-feeding? Even if he doesn't eat it all at once, there's no way he's eating more than he's supposed to - I measure a total of 3/4 cup per day - but can it still affect his health?

Asked by Member 1155644 on Feb 17th 2013 Tagged food, feeding, grazing, freefeeding in Food & Nutrition

Answers

West

Nope, that's a healthy way to feed your cat (though personally, I'd recommend adding some quality wet food in there too–it's done wonders for my kitten)!

When they say grazing leads to overeating, they're talking about owners who just fill the bowl whenever it's empty and don't measure how much their cat is eating.

West answered on 2/17/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

West is right. All of the cats I've ever had have been free-fed. They do graze. At any given time, one of the 3 I have now is up there nibbling. None are overweight. I do keep the bowl filled (oops) but they regulate themselves. My vet puts the entire alloted amount in her cat's bowl and when it's gone, it's gone. But, we do feed our cats wet food, as West suggested. My cats get a can of wet food a day. Half in the AM and half in the PM. Since cats tend to not drink enough water, this adds to their fluid intake.