Mr. Bigglesworth (Mr. B)

Does matting really hurt a cat? If so, how much? I can't brush Mr. B's butt or stomach and the matts are getting bad.

? re: matting

Asked by Mr. Bigglesworth (Mr. B) on Dec 2nd 2007 in Other Grooming

Answers

Fur-matting is not healthy for any animal, dog OR cat. Matts can collect dirt. They also rub on and pull at the skin and cause irritation. They drive your cat nuts trying to get them out! The best thing to do is take him to a groomer--don't try to cut them yourself. I did that once and accidentally sliced my cat. I felt HORRIBLE!! If his matts are that bad, you won't be able to comb/brush them out anyway because they will pull and hurt Mr. B--they have to be cut. Sometimes vets will do it for you also.

matted hair as stated before is not good for the skin underneath. My cat is 18 and I had to take her to the vet because they were so bad on my cats stomach. I was very careful and tried to do it myself and ended up cutting her. Please have it done by a vet.

Horus

Both prior answers are good advice. Go to groomer or vet. Horus, the male orange here, gets matted badly, cause he doesn't clean well. I used to have to go after him once a year and have him shaved.

Prevention: brush as often as you can. there are many styles of brush out there, find one that seems to penetrate deep into the undercoat and pull (gently) on the hairs to loosen them.

2) have your Vet, vet tech or groomer teach you how to cut the cat's fur and/or how to clip thier fir with clippers. if the cat is indoor, keep the "problem" areas clipped shorter.

3) if it continues to be a problem, have the vet, vet tech teach you how to actually cut mats out of the fur. There are tricks to doing it, to prevent you from cutting kitty skin. but you need to learn how. kitty skin is VERY liquid and you can easily get skin *inside* the mat, so even though you think you have only hair, you can be cutting right into kitty's skin!!!

Horus answered on 12/3/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011

This is funny, I have just finished cutting mats out of Baltys fur. Then I read this. He is 18 and is feeling his age. It's only in the last year I have needed to do this, but he can no longer groom his back and it is a very painful spot for him (arthritis). So as soon as I notice a mat I'll cut it out straight away before it gets too bad, and while I'm at it trim the fur around the area (To keep it as short as possible). I'm aware I can't let this get out of control since I don't think Balty can handle sedation.
MOL. He looks a little like a patch work quilt, but who cares as long as he is comfortable.
I have worked as a vet nurse and have shaved many animals. But if you are new to this please ask a groomer or your vet clinic first.
The answer to you question, I think it can be painful and can restrict movement.

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011 answered on 12/3/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer