O.J.

Does anyone have any bonding tips for my young adult cat and kitten!

Ok. Heres their situation. Ophie is 3 (ish), OJ is 6mnths. OJ has been with us for about 3 months now. At first, Ophie hated OJ, mainly because he wanted to lay in all of HER spots. I built them a play room in a previously forbidden room, that belonged to no one and therefor was neutral. It helped some. But I still feel Ophie only tolerates OJ, and though when he pounces on her, he is playing, I think Ophie takes it a bit more seriously. They DO share a food bowl, but sleep with large distances between them, and a fight breaks out if OJ tries to sleep or cuddle with her. I would like my cats to be companions and best friends, and I think its possible, Ophie has proved herself to be an adjustable cat and capable of modifying her behavior. Any suggestions?

Asked by O.J. on Dec 7th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Usually, when we bring a new cat/kitten home to a resident cat, we keep the newbie separated for a while until the resident starts showing interest. We put newbie in a room by him/herself with box, food, water, etc. and visit the newbie as often as we can. We'll let newbie out of the room and resident IN to explore scents and such. The playroom was still a part of Ophie's "territory" and may not be as neutral as you thought. Each cat should have it's own box, bed, and food/water dishes. Ophie, as the resident cat, is showing the kitten that she's large and in-charge, but if the fur is flying and it sounds really nasty, Ophie could benefit from time out in a room by herself for a few minutes when it happens. Older cats will do that with young upstarts. Make sure both cats are altered, btw. Ultimately, YOU are the alpha of the house and you determine what behavior is appropriate. There shouldn't be hitting or shrieking, but if Ophie is adjustable, she should realize you aren't pleased.