!~Callie~!

Does an indoor cat need to have flea & tick medicine on?

Callie is almost 5 months old & is a house cat.
We are first time cat owners. We use frontline plus
on our dog, but only in the spring & summer. Do we
need to use flea & tick medicine on a house cat? If so
what do you suggest?

Asked by !~Callie~! on Mar 5th 2008 Tagged fleas in Flea & Tick Protection

Answers

All of my animals, three cats and three dogs are protected by flea drops 12 months a year. We can bring fleas into the home on our clothes or just about anything else, or they can come into our homes from outside all year long and use our animals as "hosts". Fleas can live in our furniture and rugs for a long time. They can also be transferred when we visit a friend's home or someplace like a pet store where there is a chance there are unprotected animals. Fleas aren't species specific and can be transferred from dogs to cats to humans, etc. I truly believe better safe than sorry, and as vet bills go, flea meds are one of the cheaper things!

Freddie (Adopted!!!)

Callie you sure are beautiful!!!! Tell your family that you do indeed need to be treated for fleas just like your doggie friend is treated. My foster mom like Program and uses it on all of us.. but, any good monthly flea treatment should do the trick. As Callie has already said, even if your doggie brother is treated for fleas he can still bring a flea into the house and even your human family can bring fleas into the house. Sending lots of love to beautiful Callie and her family! Freddie!

Freddie (Adopted!!!) answered on 3/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cleo (The Queen)

I'd talk to the vet. We have our windows open during the spring and summer, so I wondered if they could pick up anything that way. We also take them out on leashes once in awhile. Our vet said that it is better not to because the chance is so much smaller than an outdoor cat. It wouldn't hurt to ask, and then you can get advice on which one to use if he/she thinks it is a good idea.

Cleo (The Queen) answered on 3/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sophia Marie

it's not a simple answer, and it's best answered by looking at vet recomendations given where you live.

if you live near any coast - YES YES YES and YES.

if you live on the inner parts of the country, depends on each year, each season. We don't use flea meds, as they are harsh on skin and body. But we live in an area where fleas are not common unless you are out in the fields. your neighbor's overgrown lawn won't likely even have fleas.

Sophia Marie answered on 3/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥Winnie - The Pooh

Well...I'd say that in our case, yes...our vet says that when we *the humans* are walking in & out of the house esp. in the summertime...we could be bringing in things on our jeans & pants & bringing those mean fleas into the house...I found one flea on Winnie last year.....she has never never been outside .....we went to using the frontline or advantage now each year just b/c I realized it was possible for an inside kitty to get a flea...so....check with your vet..I think that many recommend you do use this with even housekitties!!!! We can't have those fleasies!!!!! ; ) Good luck!!!!

♥Winnie - The Pooh answered on 3/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer