Sophia (Sophie)

Do you think a 13 week old kitty is ok to be adopted as an only pet?

Because kittens are so playful and curious, I am wondering how this will be. The adopter only wants one kitty and the kitties are used to being with their siblings (5 total), half sister, and were only removed from the mother 2 days ago, so they are very used to being with their family. Now to go to a home as an only pet - it will be kind of a shock. Also, I am concerned that in the new home with the person working, the kitty may get into mischief when alone. Anyway, thoughts about only kitties as pets? How do they do? I'm sure there are pros and cons. Pros: they would probably get a lot of attention and care from owner... opinions are appreciated!

Asked by Sophia (Sophie) on Sep 30th 2009 in The Adoption Process

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

I agree with your concerns. I think most cats enjoy having another cat buddy (though there are a few that want to be the only one). A 13 week old kitten will have a lot of energy. If the potential adopter works and is single, then the kitten will be alone for most of the day and will likely be bored and get into mischief. I agree that the kitten may get a lot of attention as an only cat... but it sounds like the kitten will still be alone for most of the day and likely to get into trouble. I would personally give preference to an adopter who either adopts a pair of kittens, has another young cat at home to keep the kitten company and play with, or (if the kitten is going to be an only cat) a home where someone is home most of the time. Just my opinions.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 9/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Having a house full of kitties myself, it's hard for me to say one is enough but I do honestly think Allie would have preferred to be an "only child". She did enjoy her sister Bailey when they were little but now she generally acts as if the others don't exist. She just needs me and she's happy. I know lots of people who work and have just one cat. It's fairly common for cats to be an only pet and at 13 weeks she is still young enough to get used to a new life situation. Breeders sell single kittens to people as only pets all of the time. Same basic situation. The kittens leave a house full of siblings and other cats to go and live in a new environment. They adapt. Cats are pretty independent critters.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

I disagree with Mr Fez. Cats can live with other cats but they don't NEED to. To say a person who is single and works all day shouldn't be able to adopt one kitten is wrong. People need to work and millions of people work, they have children in school and still give loving forever homes to one kitten or one pup. The thinking, one kitten will get into mischief when alone all day 2 kittens will get into twice the mischief, it's not like one babysits the other. Thinking people should adopt 2 kittens together, What about the finances that comes along with now 2 kittens, twice the food, vet care, vaccines, spay/neuter, toys, litter, etc. There are thousands of cats/kittens being euthanized daily and to start saying NO to a person for the that reason or the reasons Mr Fez mentioned is absurd.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 9/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boris

While I agree with Ms. Meany that there is nothing wrong with being an only cat of a single person, I think your kitten is still too young to be an only cat, and may genuinely miss his or her siblings.

I was an only cat for over a year. My people were busy (there were two of them), and while I was not the world's most destructive cat, I did get into my share of mischief, and I was double your kitty's age when adopted!

Momma was told I would do well being an only cat, but still, I missed my family. I would cry when momma was leaving and dad was already gone. Mom would hear me from the other side of the door, and she felt terrible about it. She would give me extra attention, but still... I just didn't like being alone at home, period. That's the main reason I am not an only anymore, I feel more secure having another cat around when the humans are gone.

If this is the only adopter you have lined up, then you may want to try it... but it may or may not work out well.

Boris answered on 9/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer