Quincy

Do scented candles cause lung cancer in cats, our beautiful Quincy died a week ago from lung cancer, internet says yes??

Asked by Quincy on Jul 3rd 2013 in Cancer

Answers

From what I have read, if you burn them constantly, it is possible that it can be a cause. But so can non stick coated pans and other environmental toxins. Pesticides are something that worry me. My neighbor across the street has a beautiful green yard, and every month the come out and spray it with so much poison, we can almost taste it when we walk out the door. I think there are so many possibilities with environmental toxins, I don't know if I'd point to the candles. I'm sorry for the loss of your kitty :( It doesn't say how old he was, but I wonder if age might have been a factor also. I think it's just one of those things. So many people that you hear about getting lung cancer and dying, never having smoked a day in their life AND who led a healthy life, like Dana Reeves. Quincy was a beautiful boy, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

We send our sincere sympathy for your loss. What does your vet say about why Quincy went to The Rainbow Bridge? If you have feelings of guilt about why he may have passed, call your vet and talk to them about it. I've never heard about candles causing lung cancer in cats, but I know there was a buzz a while back about those plug in air fresheners that are plugged into outlets close to the floor. I have to think that, as Beep said, your entire home would have to be filled with many candles and your cat probably would have had to sit right over them and inhale the fumes/smoke from them. Once again--we send purrs and hugs.