Do most indoor cats like outdoor pet enclosures? Are they worth the money?

Asked by Member 1180284 on Aug 18th 2013 Tagged outdoor, outdoorcatenclosures, outdoorcatproducts in Pet Products

Answers

Mine used to like the patio, but as they've gotten older, not so much. Noises like local barkers, the lawn mowers and leaf blowers scare the crud out of them. You also need to make sure they are flea treated before going outside, which costs $10 per pet a month for a good brand, and then whatever pen or jungle gym that is purchased. ^_^

Orion is right. It really depends on the cat. And, letting them have the run of an outdoor enclosure that's large and well "decorated" with safe things to climb and perch on and a large safe box to hide in should they become scared, is certainly safer for them than just opening the door and letting them outside to fend for themselves. You can construct an enclosure by yourself if you are handy with wood and screening. It needs to be sturdy as a lot of cats can claw through ordinary screening and escape, so research needs to be done on what materials to use. A good place to learn how to use/build on is your local rescue/shelter. Many of their volunteers who foster have constructed these for their feral cats and to give the many cats they foster more room.

Rhea

My 2 strictly indoor cats love going out into the cat enclosure although its not very big my one cat was never interested in going outside before I got an enclosure. And now that's all she wants to do is go outside. Recently we had to take it down and she was depressed and started trying to sneak out the back door which is a big no no with her. Both my cats cost over $1000 and will not risk loosing them outside the enclosure. But we are starting to make plans for a bigger enclosure which is why we took the smaller one down. my suggestion get a small one first to see how they react to it then go bigger if they are comfortable with the smaller one

Rhea answered on 8/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer