Do cats pull out their claws?

I was just giving my dogs fresh water and noticed one of the cats claws floating in the bowl! There was no blood, just a dry claw. None of the three of them are limping. I checked their feet and they are fine. There's no blood anywhere they like to lay--like one of their paws was bleeding. Has anyone ever heard of cats pulling out their claws, like maybe some strange grooming ritual? I trim their claws constantly so I don't think it got caught and torn out...

Asked by Izadore (Izzie) on Mar 20th 2008 Tagged pullingoutclaws in Other Grooming

Best Answer

Boris

Izzie, my claws grow extra fast, so they also shed extra fast. Mom says it's because I sharpen them against my cat tree like there is no tomorrow, so that must stimulate their growth or something. She can clip me one day and within two days: bam! sharp and long claws!

Even if she trims my nails weekly (which she is not doing lately, she's busy so it's every other week), she does find nails that I shed within 3-4 days of trimming them. I'm even fond of leaving them in places where they're hard to vacuum up, too.

There was no blood, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It may have been a one time thing for all you know.

Boris answered on Mar 21st.

Answers

Skuya

That's probably the sheath of a claw. They can peel-off/shed periodically as the claw goes. They are found here and there around here, too.

Skuya answered on 3/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Queenie

well take a closer look next time you find a claw. it may just be the out layer of the claw that comes off whenever they scratch on something. when cats scratch they are pulling off the outer layer of their claws, underneath that old layer there is a sharper layer. so the claws your seeing may be the outer layer

Queenie answered on 3/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mysty (The Princess)

One of mine lost a claw when it got stuck in something. They do grow back, but there was no blood anywhere for Mysty either-just a missing claw.

Mysty (The Princess) answered on 3/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer