Calli

DO cats get depressed after spaying & abortion? Will They come out of it?

I got my kitten spayed last week & it turned into an abortion too, cuz we didn't know she was pregnant till it was too late. Now she's in hiding, won't eat, hasn't gone to the litterbox, & is hissing at everyone who checks on her & it has been a week. Will it get better? Is she depressed?

Asked by Calli on Mar 10th 2008 Tagged spaying, abortion, depression in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Skuya

I think it's possible. Mothers cats here, (including me), very noticeably grieved when their kittens who were old enough, (about 12 weeks), went out on their own. That's kind of the same. It was heart-wretching for all for about a week to a few weeks. They were crying-out, moping, pacing, looking, very distant for one to a few weeks.
She needs time to heal physically and emotionally/spiritually.
Try to make her extra comfortable- a soft blanket, a quiet spot, maybe some soft music, some treats. Maybe let her be in one quiet room. I'd give her some space if she's hissing, (let her come to you), but you do have to check her incision at least daily- for redness, if it's hot, draining. If she's bothering the stitches like most kitties here did, she'll need an E-collar.
But if she's not eating at all, not even treats like tuna, or using the litter-box at all, something's not right & she needs to go to the Vet. Hissing can also be a sign of pain, which can be a sign of infection, too.

Skuya answered on 3/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Skuya is right. If you've ever had multiple animals in your home and lost one, the survivors do grieve right along with their humans. My daughter's kitty, Cleo, was aborted and she definitely grieved for them. She knew she was supposed to have a job and all of the sudden, the job (and the kittens) wasn't there. There are probably a lot of hormones working that may be making her act like this. However, she could also have an infection and not be well. I've also been told on this board that anesthesia takes a while to leave the cat's system. However, Calli could also have an infection at the spay sight. If you can, you need to get her out of hiding and get her up to the vet. Cats can't go much longer without eating. Please pawmail and let us know how she's doing.

Sam

I would still talk to your vet and make sure that she doesn't want to see your cat to rule out any medical problems. Rescue Remedy might also help a little bit.

Sam answered on 3/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sugar Baby was spayed under similar conditions. I can't answer your question because I got her about 7 weeks later, but she is NOT depressed or feeling any effects. If your kitten hasn't eaten in a week, you need to call her vet. Her behavior sounds more like a reaction to pain than depression.

Poe

It is quite possible that your kitten might in fact be feeling sad or depressed. Not only is she upset from the spaying, but she lost a litter of kittens, too. Make sure she has a ready source of food and water available for her at all times. Keep an eye on it to make sure she is eating something. The vet told me when Chaucer wouldn't eat that I should get him some canned or pouched cat food since the odor stimulates their appetites. It worked. It smelled up the house, but it worked. You might consider going to your local department store and getting her some stuffed 'babies' of her own. A few tiny, stuffed kittens and she might snap out of it. It sounds strange I know. Another trip to the vet seems to be in order, too since she is probably dehydrated by now. A check-up can't hurt after a major surgery like that anyway. I hope Calli gets to feeling better!

Poe answered on 3/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer