Moxie

Do cats get colds or allergies?

And if so, what are the symptoms? Could it affect their sense of smell?

Starting several days ago, my kitty would be excited about meals but then sniff her food and walk away. We tried all types of food and did eventually get her to eat tuna type cat food. Same disinterest with water so we're giving subq fluids. Her blood and urine tests and xrays came back fine. She's lethargic and just not her usual self. She has been sneezing occasionally but I wouldn't say excessively. Vets are puzzled. Any ideas? I know colds and allergies can affect my nose and wipe me out so I was wondering if it could be something like that...

Asked by Moxie on Apr 1st 2008 Tagged cold, allergies, sneezing, appetite, smell in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

Yes they can. My neighbor's cat has to take Clariton for it's allergies.
You should take Moxie to several vets. Oh, and while people and animals can share some diseases, colds are not one one of them.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 4/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cherry

Yes, Cats do get colds and allergies. Usually it can be an URI (Upper respiratory infection) and that is when the cats sneeze, are tired, have poor appetite. This would also cause minimised sense of smell. Since cats smell their food before they eat, this might affect their appetite. A vet should be easily able to identify a URI and will prescribe antibiotics. If its an allergy they should be able to find that as well.

Please take Moxie to another vet and see if they can recognize the symptoms. A second opinion would never hurt. You can also submit a question on the site to Dr. Eric Barchus.

<www.dogster.com/columns/ask_drbarchas.php>
Good Luck.

Cherry answered on 4/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My little fur babies must have been allergic to mold. They sneezed all the time when we lived in a basement apartment. They were not really interested in food much. My vet thought allergies and offered to conduct some tests but since they were gaining the right amount of weight, we MUTUALLY decided there would be no real benefit to them. Once we moved to another place, the sneezing stopped and they are eating me out of house and home.
I cannot stress enough that you should:
TAKE YOUR BABY TO ANOTHER VET.
Get a 2nd opinion.

I agree with everyone that a second opinion is in order. Sounds like a URI to me.