Do cats eat vegetables? Only if they have human owners.

N response to the poster who questions whether wild cats eat veggies:

#1 - I’m not suggesting not giving cats veggies, just stressing the need 4 protein.

#2 - IN THE WILD, as I said, cats R hypercarnivores. They don't eat veggies. Their veggie matter comes from stomachs of prey. They also get stored veggie nutrients from livers of prey. WILD cats, from feral housecats, to the African Wildcat, to big cats eat organ meats. Wildlife leaves nothing wasted & organs R a favorite part. Our house cats leave them as cherished gifts 4 us (owners). Yes, cats will take N grass, but can’t digest it. It’s not 4 nutrition. It is to vomit, or 2 help hairballs pass. Herbivores have all flat tops to their teeth. This is 4 grinding vegetation. Omnivores have some flat, molars, but also sharp prey-grippers, canines. Hypercarnivores (like cats) have NO flat-top, grinding teeth. Only cats w/owners eat veggies. Feed Ur cat veggies if U like, mine gets peas as treats. Just don't skimp on protein.

Asked by Member 796903 on Feb 9th 2009 Tagged hypercarnivores, wildcats, veggies, teeth, grass, protein in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Spike

One of my favorite websites (after Catster, of course!) is called "What Jeff Killed." Jeff's owner, who seems to live in the southwest of the U.S., is a skilled photographer, and Jeff is a skilled hunter. The photographs of what remains after Jeff has killed and eaten have made me wonder what kind of vegetable matter cats get from their prey, as he tends to leave the innards intact. I don't know about Jeff's other feeding habits (he eats Friskies at home?) but he sure is one heck of a hunter. I don't know enough about cats to know if he's representative or not, but it does seem that he eschews the guts. (He eats reptiles as well as rodents and such.) I suppose I could research as to whether cats actually do eat the guts of their victims, thus getting vegetable and grain matter, but hey, I'm too lazy to do that, so I'll believe what you say. By the way, peas are great for cats, but watch those fava beans...and no Chianti.

Spike answered on 2/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My 3 plain ole housecats love catgrass which is certainly some sort of vegetation. I've also had a few strays come and roll in and eat my catnip each summer and they don't have owners who give them veggies so I believe they eat it for the taste. Sometimes my cats vomit it back up and sometimes it passes through. Ernie used to love mashed potatoes and a friend on thisboard is wild about green beans.

Philbert

That website is awesome! It takes a pretty strong stomach to look at a few posts, but it's very interesting. Our little sweet or sassy snuggle buddies are pretty ruthless killers! and they kills small cute animals! Someone was giving me crap on here about feeding Phil rabbit meat for his allergies, and how rabbits were pets and I was such a monster for feeding them to my cat. Well, take a look, cats eat rabbits.

I would also be interested if Jeff gets any kind of supplimentation to his hunting feasts.

I kind of feel when it comes to these things, you'll find any answer you want on the internet. You feed veggies? You'll find info that says that's ok. You don't feed veggies? You're going to find info that says veggies slowly kill cats. That's the beauty of the internet. I suggest you do what you can afford to do the best for your animals.

Philbert answered on 2/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow

Cats are obligate carnivores, plain and simple, they do not need vegetables in their diet. They need protein, their teeth and digestive system is proof of that. They cannot process vegetables or grain. Sure if you want to give them the odd bit of vegie that would be fine, but they really dont need it.

Shadow answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer