Did I make a mistake?

We adopted a 4 month old kitty last weekend. I wanted my year-old son to have a pet so he understood animals. They seem to have adjusted well to each other but it seems to be me that has the problem. For one thing, she doesn't seem to ever clean her butt (it always stinks and she always has it in my face). She also pooped on one of our chairs tonight and ruined it. We got her a self cleaning litter box yesterday but I saw her poop in it twice the first few hours we had it. She's a very sweet, affectionate cat but I already have a baby to take care of. I don't want to give her back to the cat rescue but she's stressing me out. We got so much stuff to prepare for her. I feel like a failure.

Asked by Member 1135736 on Oct 14th 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Gizzy Gizmo

i am very sorry to hear about this poopy mess :( but i do not think your a failure...ive had cats do this before to and they ended up being sick with parasites or some other sickness...maybe take your cat to the vet and see what she/he has to say :) good luck!

gizmos mom

Gizzy Gizmo answered on 10/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gizmo is absolutely right. My only caveat is that I might have waited until your son was a little older (say kindergarten age) before adding a furbaby, but that's not a big deal. When you take the cat to the vet for an exam and for spaying if she's not already, ask them to do a "hygenic trim" on her hindquarters. They will shave or cut the fur short so it's easier for her to groom. If you don't brush her already, start doing so and also brush her hindquarters. Litter sticks, especially wet litter and it's hard for her to clean off without help. Make sure you aren't using tons of litter in her box. She only needs about an inch and a half. Be aware that lots of cats (I had one) absolutely don't like the auto-clean boxes. They're afraid of them. In all honesty, it took me 20 minutes to clean the auto box. It was much easier to scoop and once a week, change out the litter. Sure, it's not the most pleasant job, but it's part of cat ownership. Ask hubby to pitch in with the babies!

I think both of these answers are good. You didn't say what breed this cat is, but if she's a long haired cat, she will get mess stuck in the fur around her butt. I'm long haired & I have to go get a potty trail (butt shaved) every 3 to 4 months because I get mess stuck in my fur. Mommy also makes sure they shave the backs of my legs too since stuff can "dribble" there. As for her pooping outside the box, she may not like her litterbox or their could be a health issue going on.