Azrael & Daemon

Deficating / Pooping outside of box.

I'm actually asking this question for my mom. Her cat, Hope, that she got almost two years ago has for the past many months to maybe a year been pooping outside her (covered) box. She pees in the box and it's cleaned daily. She tried adding another uncovered box but it didn't help. I've had mom pick up the poop and put it in the box, only to have Hope cover it with litter and still poop outside the box. I've also had mom vary the amount of litter she uses to no effect. She does it a few feet away from the box in the middle of the room. Nine times out of ten she does her pooping in the middle of the night, so it's not a privacy problem. There also used to be a screen blocking the box from view for added privacy, but it made no difference. She gets a check-up every year and is healthy and happy. There are no other cats or animals to cause stress. I'm completely baffled. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Possible reason or solution?

Asked by Azrael & Daemon on Nov 12th 2012 Tagged deficating, deficate, poop, pooping in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Cats stop using the box for 2 main reasons, health and stress. I wonder if, since Hope does poop at night, if she likes the quiet and darkness and is a privacy issue. If she gets yellled at for pooping outside the box, her tender little feelings could also be hurt. And, at this point, it may simply be habit. I have 3 cats, one of whom is a large Maine Coon (Izzie). I use a big, long, Rubbermaid underbed storage box as one of my litter boxes. I put about one and one-half inches of litter in it. It's in one of my closets with another large box. We do have "accidents" occasionally, but 95% of the time, they poop where they should. I've heard that Feliway plugged in by the box helps sometimes, although not had success with it myself. I think there is also litter that attracts a cat to the box. Check with your vet to see what they say to do. They know Hope and your mom and may be able to offer more advice.