Could someone get scabies from newly adopted ferals?

We adopted 9 feral cats (created heated shelter, 5 acre deer fenced property in CT) last fall. All fixed, vaccinated, just Revolutioned. We have been under construction and I had a meeting with my landscape architect this am. He told me that he was bitten when he went down to shed last fall and is still dealing with a scabies issue. I feel TERRIBLE. However, I have spent hours with them inside and outside of the space, they sit on my lap (I am working to socialize them and find them good homes, I am really allergic). I googled scabies after he left, and WebMD and every other site I found stated that animal scabies are not transmittable to humans. They may bite but can't live...The cats have no mange, no ear mites, and I have never had any issues. Does anyone know of a situation where a person has developed skin issues as a result of cats? BTW, he didn't enter shelter, just peeked in and he is very allergic....I feel very badly about this....Thank you anyone!

Asked by Member 1151935 on Feb 22nd 2013 Tagged scabiestransferfromcattohumans in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Joey

Human scabies is transmitted by direct skin-to-skin contact with an infected person - it does not transmit from animal to person. In adults it's often considered a sexually transmitted disease - it also occurs frequently in nursing homes and prisons where populations are in close quarters. Check the CDC website for more information - it's certain he did not get it from working on your property or from your cats.

www.cdc.gov

Joey answered on 2/22/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Former poster is absolutely right! Scabies are NOT transmitted from dog/cat to humans. Your landscape architect could have gotten scabies anywhere, but not from feral cats. He obviously hasn't sought medical treatment because if he did, he wouldn't still have scabies. Yes, it is sexually transmitted too! I have been a feral cat rescuer for over ten years, and never had any problem with skin rashes, etc. when I came into contact with any of the ferals, their bedding or the areas they frequent outdoors. This person is full of crap, sorry to say!