Clarence

Confused by behavior of 6 month old kitten

I hope I am doing this right, this is my first post.
My husband and I adopted a kitten 2 months ago (we got him the day after he was fixed). He is now roughly 6 months old. He has adapted to our house well and is usually a very sweet cat. Sometimes though, there are days where he jumps at us, charges at us or climbs up our legs with his claws. He can also play rough and bite. I tend to receive these behaviors more than my husband. Usually not long after these incidents happen, he is very sweet and loving, wanting to sit in my lap and be petted. Sometimes I feel like all I am saying is "No Clarence". We try very hard to reward and reinforce good behavior while discouraging these behaviors. Is this normal behavior for a kitten of his age? It stresses me out and I want to be sure that I am doing everything right as he develops. We make sure to get plenty of play time in everyday (a little in the morning before work, and lots when we get home in the evening). Thanks for your help!

Asked by Clarence on Oct 30th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Have you ever had a cat before... this is normal kitten behavior. They want to play ALL of the time. Buy him more toys, scratchers and a cat tree to start birdwatching. You are talking about this cat like it is a dog, and cats do not think or act like dogs at all. If you want your cat to have a friend to play with, get a spayed younger female in a year from now. Otherwise, as your cat gets stronger, so will his scratches. Wear a rubber glove to arm wrestle with him... only when the glove is ON or you will be bitten. It might also help you to read the book 'Cats' from tph publishing since you are learning on the go. ^_^ Meow to the world...