Coated Sphynx?

I have a chance to get a kitten that, although he's a Sphynx, was born coated as some are. I am also told after a CTscan that I should not have anything in my home I even MIGHT be allergic to and in the past, I have to admit my 5 cats caused me to have nasal polyps and surgery.
Will a coated Sphynx be different than an "ordinary" coated cat regarding dander? I know the hairless ones have oil on them you have to wash frequently. What are my chances of living with this cat? I have to have sinus surgery this year and complications from sinusitis can include menagitis, blindness if the infection goes into your eyes, blood clots and anurisms (sp?) How stupid am I to even want a cat again? Hmmm? ;-) Any advice is greatly appreciated. :-)

Asked by Member 826523 on Apr 14th 2009 Tagged allergy, coatedsphynx in Health & Wellness

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Well, technically there isn't a such thing as a "hypoallergenic" cat. Some breeds (such as Sphynx) are more easily tolerated or will not cause some people to react. Do you have a chance to meet and handle this kitten first to see if you can tolerate him? I have also heard that bathing the cat once a week can really help those with allergies. Ideally, of course, this would be done by someone without cat allergies. Invest in a good vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter. Actually, if possible, replace the carpeting. I know allergists say carpeting is good for holding allergens. Hardwood, laminate flooring, or linolium (sp?) are easier to keep clean and keep the allergens down. If you aren't already, see an allergist and work with them. An allergist will be able to work with you and sometimes medication or allergy shots to "de-sensitize" you may be an option. Good luck! And no - you are not stupid for wanting a cat - I don't know what I'd do without my boys!

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 4/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Philbert

You're definitely not stupid for wanting a cat, but those are some pretty heavy risks! I would suggest what the other poster said and see if there is anyway you could "test run" the cat for your allergies. I have a cousin who is also highly allergic to cats, but loves them and ended up getting a Siberian, for their lack of the enzyme in their saliva people are allergic too. They gae him a clipping of the kittens hair and he was to rub it on his face and sleep on it to see if he would react. He didn't and how he has a beautiful little friend, and no allergies to him. Maybe you could try that with this kitten fur? Though, I've read that sphynxs still have the enzyme, but they don't fur to lick and shed and thus shed the enzyme covered fur all over the house for you to react to. Instead, by bathing them regularly, you clean off the enzyme, and alleiviate it's effects, until it builds up again, and bath them again. So you may still be allergic to a sphynx with fur.

Philbert answered on 4/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer