Chaos

Chaos is living up to her name. And it's putting stress on my relationship. Help please.

I have a Bengal Abyssinian female named Chaos. Not yet a year old, and my boyfriend is at his wits end with her. He says she acts too much like a wild cat. She gets into everything, she's knocked shelves off the walls, she'll tear into bags/boxes of human food. She "play" attacks us at night and keeps us up till wee hours in the morning. She claws at the walls/doors AND CLIMBS THEM.She gets on counter-tops, the top of the fridge and she'll walk on the stove when it's on to get food if you don't stand there at watch her. And she'll open cabinets (Which we've child proofed...) and knock plates and stuff out of them. I have an epic cat tower/scratching post for her, I try to discourage bad behavior with a water bottle or a loud noise but it doesn't phase her. We got her at three weeks old cause the mother was killing her litter. I feed her regularly and we have two other cats she loves. I don't know what to do.

Asked by Chaos on Nov 4th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Ghost

I've seen bengals described as wild by nature, it sounds to me like she is just living up to her breed traits. My cat loves ping ping balls and it keeps him running. Sounds like she needs yet more stimulation which might be hard for you to procure, sounds like you've done a lot already. Good luck.

Ghost answered on 11/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It sure sounds like she's out of control! But understand that some of her behaviors are typical cat, like counter surfing and opening cupboards, If I make myself a turkey sandwich for lunch, I have to carry it with me or Izzie will steal the meat off of it! I've heard that Bengals can be pretty hyper. Their jumping and climbing ability is supposed to be legendary. They're supposed to be good with kids b/c they wear each other out! If you and your BF work all day and the cat is alone, she's bored. Bengals are smart little cats and they need to be challenged. I had a friend who taught her Bengal literally to jump through hoops and do an obstacle course like a dog! Invest some time in playing with Chaos, truly dedicated playtime, not just waggling a feather wand in front of her. Keep her busy and her mind active in a good way, and I'll bet she'll settle down! Also, if she's not spayed, this needs to be done asap as well.

Purdy

I agree with the other answers - re: needing to tire her out. Bengals are intelligent, very inquisitive cats. They have loads of energy and need a lot of exercise. I have seen that you can buy large cat wheels for Bengals - like the hamster wheel but for cats.. and if you can train them - this will help. I also saw the Cat whisperer guy helping a couple with their Bengal - he (the cat) was good at walking on a harness and they also had to spend a lot more time playing with him. You either need a cat sitter who will play with him through the day, or some of the above. Imagine such a cat in the wild - they have so much to stimulate them - our houses must be majorly dull in comparison to what their instincts are fighting to do !

Purdy answered on 4/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer