Cats scratch everything!

Help! I have 3 kittens and their mama cat, and I can't figure out how to get them not to scratch. While they were young, I raised them in a kitty-proofed room where they couldn't get into too much trouble (or danger), but although they didn't scratch anything but the scratching posts, the wood frames of the windows are terribly gouged from where they tried to climb!

Now I'm moving them to the main area of the house, and I'm noticing that they're trying to scratch couches and climb more wooden and fabric furniture. They lick and bite at the sticky tape, and I already have a number of scratching posts. I'm trimming their claws weekly...but maybe not short enough?

Does the spray help? Any other suggestions? I really don't want to even consider declawing!

Asked by Member 1140346 on Jan 9th 2013 Tagged cats, kittens, scratching in Scratching

Answers

Bear

You're going in the right direction. It's a good start to have scratching posts and to trim their claws. Grind a bit of catnip into the scratching post with your fingers to draw more interest to it. You'll want to remove interest in the furniture by removing the tape that might dangle fascinatingly after being played with. If there is a certain couch or chair that is particularly interesting, try putting one of the scratching posts in front of that area. When the kittens do go for your furniture discourage them with a noise that sounds like a hiss or bonk them on the butt (not too hard of course). You will want to redirect them to the scratching post, let them smell the catnip and show them how to use it by running your fingers on the post as if you're scratching the post. If you have time during the day, try exercising them with some fun play time. Get a cat wand and play with them until they are sleepy, this will help them bond with humans and get tons of bored energy out.

Bear answered on 1/11/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer