Cat won't stay off counters and pet cages HELP!?

I have tried everything and tried every suggestion online to keep my cat off the kitchen counters. We recently purchased additional pets that stay in a cage so now he's jumping on that too. Is there anything we can do? I've tried tape, orange spray, water, pennies in a can, even the motion activated spray. This cat is trying his hardest to eat my anoles and has ruined furniture and broken dishes jumping on and off the counter. I have even had to throw away food because he sticks his face in the pots and pans while they're cooking and drinks out of our glasses. Someone please help I don't know what else to do!

Asked by Member 1026790 on Mar 16th 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Oh my! Sounds like you have quite a persistent little fella there! He's your typical curious kitty and he wants to be part of your family, only there seems to be too much excitement and it keeps getting him into mischief. First we mst always remember that cats aren't humans and punishing them isn't going to work, as you have seen. So you're going to have to work with him. Miss Edith, my eldest, has the worst counter manners and she has been on fire more than once! No worries, she's ok it was just a little floof. Anyway the absolute best way in my experience to combat a pushy kitty is to distract him. First you must remove the breakables from the countertop. Then, while cooking set an automatic toy that he can chase or even feed him so that he leaves you alone while you cook. When he gets on the cages, scruff him to take him off. It's how mother cats handle baby cats. When he is on the floor, give him praise. Give him praise and play with him while he is on the floor. Floor is gooood.

As Miss Edith suggests, it sounds like your kitty is begging for attention. I am one of those disgusting people who doesn't care if my cats get on the counters. They have to eat up there because of my dogs. But they aren't interested in our food. I keep plenty of exciting toys on the floor. They have several chitter mice that I purchased at a pet store that sound realistic. They LOVE them. We also have a cat condo, a water fountain on the floor and three scratchy boxes. Night is lap and love and brushie time. They get lots of attention then and seem content to wait for it. I have to ask though, with such a curious little guy, why did you get little lizards? What a temptation for him! When I had gerbils and cats, I kept a heavy screen lid on top of the aquarium with a big book on top. This way the 2 species never met in person. Consistency and distraction are the keys. Keep removing him from your dinner table with a firm "NO!". Make sure he gets plenty of one on one play with you.

Feed the cat!Feed it first.-before feeding the humans.The cat is hungry.Give it meat. There is a reason the cat is sniffing around.A must-read: WWW.CATINFO.ORG by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM (Vet). Pay attention to his food likes/dislikes: Cats are obligatory carnivores.They chase mice&birds,not whole grains.Ingredients:Grains!litterbox care(3-4 inces of clumping litter and fastidious waste disposal.)I know a renowned dog breeder who feeds her treasures raw fresh meat.Google details before going raw. I used to feed cats dry food, canned cat food. Yesterday I gave them cooked turkey and Lubert(our cat) perked up. Take out raw turkey/beef and notice how the cat pays attention.Watch his nose work hard to catch that smell he/she craves.I know all the suggestions to deter counter-climbing. I used to get upset,now I just feed the cat !