Cat stopped eating and drinking

My cat was constipated so i put him on wet food, worked for 3 months then became constipated again so I took him to the doctor, they put him on metronidazole and after a week he lost appetite, not sure why, took him back to the vet , did a whole bunch of tests , all came back fine, Vet continued to put him a a smaller dosage of metronidazole, He lost a lot of weight, has not gone to the bathroom for 3-4 days, I'm force feeding him now, he is okay with it for now, he is 11 years, he behaves okay. So far he has been keeping the food down and I also feed him water.
Doctor said could be cancer, I decided not to take the test since if he does have it I would not do anything anyway.
Any suggestions .

Prince the Wonder cat. he has a video.....youtube

Asked by Member 1157460 on Feb 28th 2013 Tagged stoppedeatingdrinking in Illness & Disease

Answers

Joey

Please take him to the vet - he may be impacted. My sister's cat Katie has a history of chronic constipation and megacolon - she has been blocked before - it's terrible for them. Our vet went with a dose of MiraLax daily mixed in with her wet food (both of my cats are on it as well) and it made all the difference. I would not recommend giving him anything new without seeing the vet. See the vet – make sure he is not blocked – talk about trying the MiraLax. Good luck.

Joey answered on 3/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Did the vet do an X-ray? I was thinking the same thing, that he might to blocked up with hairballs or something. I used to get blocked with really bad & I'd have to have an enema to get them out. They'll show up on an X-ray. Get some hairball gel & give it to him for future reference. The gel probably won't work now, he'll need medicial intervention.