Zurri

Cat peeing on my things and my bed, what does this mean?

Zurri has always used the litter box, but a few days ago when i gave her a bath and sprayed her down for fleas she decided to pee on my back pack. I thought it was spiteful peeing, then i get a phone call from my father who tells me Zurri peed on him and his bed and pillow the other night. Now, before all of this had occured Zurri loved peeing in the litter box while i was cleaning it. And it didnt even seem to be a lot of pee, like it wasnt really urgent. Could it be a UTI or could she be sending me a message? HELP!

Asked by Zurri on Sep 19th 2013 Tagged spiteful_peeingpeeingmad_cat in Behavior & Training

Answers

Whenever there is a sudden change in your cat's behavior, Catsters always recommend at least calling the vet. Some flea preventatives, especially over-the-counter ones, are not safe and can cause a reaction. The flea spray you used may have made her sick. On the other hand, she could be sending you a message. Stress can cause cats to stop using the box. Although some will disagree, it's unusual for a cat to "spite pee". There's usually something wrong, either physically or stress-wise, in their lives. Even something that may seem insignificant to you may not have sat with her very well and she's reacting by not using her box. You can always set out additional boxes for her and make sure they are kept scrupulously clean. Make sure your Dad thoroughly cleans his bedding. I use half a box of baking soda in the wash to deodorize. If the pee has soaked through into his mattress, sad to say but he'll probably have to replace it. But do call the vet first to make sure she's OK.

Hiii... I suggest that first of all you should call
the vet due to sudden behavioral change in your cat. Vet can shed light on what the real problem is. Your cat could have a kidney or urinary infection, which is very common. This leads to her out of character behavior. An infection will cause her pain and she will refuse to use her litter box.Diabetes is also a possible cause. It can be deadly to your cat if left untreated.
So, your best plan is to get to the vet. Medication can help your cat and solve the problem.

We agree with Izzie because peeing only a little can indicate that there are crystals or a blockage. Bring the cat in to make sure there is no UTI. If there is, your cat may have to go on prescription food for it, like mine, if it becomes a chronic or life-long problem. How old is Zurri, and have you seen darker pee color (this could mean there is blood in the pee). There is a litter called HealthMeter that changes color if something is wrong in the urine that you can buy at pet stores also. Hopefully you caught this at an early stage! ^_^