Cat not covering her poop/how often should you clean a litter box?

I moved into a friend’s apartment a few weeks ago and I encountered a problem I wasn’t expecting. Her cat’s litter box stank up the entire place! She said she’s never had this problem before with her old cat (he died a few months ago). Her new cat (she just turned one) apparently doesn’t cover her waste in the litter box. I never had this problem when I had a cat in high school. Is this normal?

And I wish this was the only problem. The litter box is right next to the kitchen. My new roomie says she scoops it every day. I’m not entirely certain that her statement is correct because it really smells. I then ask her how often she cleans the litter box. She looked at me funny and repeated that she scoops every day. I probe some more and then I find possibly the biggest problem. She never actually cleans the litter box. She was raised to believe that if she uses clumping litter, all she has to do is scoop out the ick and everything is fine. She said she cleans the litter-

Asked by Member 1186571 on Aug 21st 2013 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

It looks like you are going to have to temporarily chip in with cat duties unless you want everything to smell! I have a cat that doesn't cover because she was found at 3 weeks and I had to teach her. She modeled the others, but there are times when she does not cover. There are litter additives and perhaps she will need to upgrade to a more expensive litter, or one that works better. You can buy her a "present" of better food and litter and see if that will help. Natural Choice cat food has chicory root, which is known to reduce stinky poop. You also both might want to agree on a new litter box location. Explain the concept to your roomie of occasional box washing and litter box wipes and sprays, and demonstrate the first time if necessary. ^_^

Nicholas

My cat has always covered his pee but not his poop. I scoop the box every day and empty wash and fill with fresh litter every week. A high quality diet can help with the smell but the box needs to be clean! Cats hate dirty boxes and will eventually look for a cleaner place to go! Special Kitty (Walmart) makes a litter called Fresh and Light (I think). It has cedar shavings in it. Also litters with baking soda or add your own. I sprinkle a little in the bottom of his box before adding fresh litter. Good Luck!

Nicholas answered on 8/30/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

She does need to actually clean the actual litterbox. Maybe scooping 2 or 3 times a day wouldn't hurt either.

Ghost

Yes scooping 1x2 times a day is ideal, I too only swap out all litter one time a week, but sounds like might be less for her. I also buy a new box every 6 months. Don't skimp on the litter, I will add some more after scooping as needed (in addition to the full swap) . I love arm in hammer litter they have many different kinds, but the most scented is "ultra last"

Ghost answered on 9/16/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer