Cat freaking out for no reason randomly

My cat randomly freaks out and starts running as fast as she can all over the room she is in, going under the bed and jumping on and off of things at what has to be full speed.

At times she has even made her paws bleed from i assume a claw breaking.

I don't know what to do she does it so randomly that we havent been able to attribute it to anything. No change in diet or litter no new animals or people or even items that give off smells, nothing at all.

I've come to figure it has to be some sort of mental defect as she is just under 2 years and this has only started in the last few months.

Any other ideas or help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you in advance,
Jason Golding

Asked by Member 1080449 on Dec 28th 2011 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

The ZOOMIES! Running through the house at warp speed and bouncing off furniture is completely normal cat behavior, not a "mental defect". If she is less than two years old and the behavior started months ago, she was still a kitten at the time, which is, again, normal. This is the way indoor cats expend their excess energy, of which they have a ton.

The only thing I find concerning is the bleeding paws. You "assume" it is from broken claws, but have you examined her claws to see if any are broken and bloody? Could there be objects around your home that may have caused the injuries, such as utensils left on countertops, or any sharp edges? Rather than making assumptions about her injuries, she should be carefully examined, and any potentially dangerous items in your home should be put away. A home needs to be
"cat-proofed" in much the same way it needs to be child-proofed for a toddler.

A vet visit would be an excellent idea, both for a thorough exam and to answer your concerns.

I guess this is more of a comment than an answer. I have 3 cats that do the same thing, mostly when i`m trying to sleep! They seem to have a spaz out session then sleep and it repeats. I`ve tried sleeping with the bedroom door shut but they just meow very loud non-stop until I let them in. Mine are almost a year old, 2 boys & 1 girl, brothers & sister. I just wanted to say I feel ya! Gotta love our silly cats!