cat diadetes

ny 10 year old cat cybill has had diadetes for 2 years i have been able to contain it with two 3mg of insulin twice a day 12 hours apart,i was wondering if there was another way of giving cybill the insulin as i am about to start a new job and am worried i may not get back intime for her night injection.live in the uk [london]
many thanks

Asked by Member 641785 on Jul 1st 2008 Tagged injectiondiabitescybill in Diabetes

Answers

Sam

I would really check with your vet. You might need to change the dosages, change her food, etc.

Sam answered on 7/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Navar

I don't think you need to worry too much, definately speak to your vet, but I think it depends mostly on what time you work. It is not impertinant to give Cybill the insulin as soon as you get up, so best to arrange it around your schedule, as long as you are giving it with mealtime. It is not too big a deal if your insulin doses and more than 12 hours apart. My schedule is very random, because my mom's work schedule varies anytime between breakfast at 4am and supper after midnight and sometimes I miss a dose, but my glucose levels are only affected slightly, as long as I get at least one dose each day. I get 2IU of insulin twice a day . I also get a dose of Chromium with each meal, which is a natural mineral to help balance glucose levels. I learned this from the Vet food I was prescribed, because it contains Chromium. To help keep your kitty's glucose levels balanced feed a diet high in fibre and low in carbs. Plus, fresh fish I find helps lower glucose levels too and I love it!!!

Navar answered on 7/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer