Cat behaviour that I don't get!

Hello everyone... I've had my rescue cat for almost a year now and I was wondering if anyone knew or could guess why she displays some of her tendencies.
In short, I only see my cat at night time. She comes in for some petting and is quick to purr, even lick my hands/face (never knew a cat to do that)... she will only come if I am seated or in bed.

Our morning starts with her being fed by my g/f. She seems to be terrified and obsessed by my feet (i'm 6'2 and size 12). She will run under the couch and stay there for the better part of the day. We return from work, she greets us at the door... sees my feet and runs away again... only to come over hours later.

Whats the deal? Why is she seemingly terrified of me 12 hours of the 15 hours I am awake?

Asked by Member 1182384 on Jul 25th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

If she was a stray she might have had bad experiences with a male human before; these things can have residual side effects for years. Also, your cat is nocturnal, which is normal for wild cats. I have a cat that licks faces also, which means that she was separated from her mother quite young. They like licking arm and leg hair too; it's their way of grooming you. It sounds like she knows you're her human. If you had her before the girlfriend and you're seeing less of the cat now, it's because she doesn't want to share, but will not bite the hand that feeds her either... ^_^