Cat behavior help!! Acts differently around others

I have been living in an apartment with a cat for about five months now. Though she is not my cat, I have been treating her as my own and often spend plenty of time with her during the day (I often work from home). Also, after about the first month of living with her she has taken to sleeping in my bed, cuddling with me every night. The trouble is that whenever her other owner comes home, or any other person is around for that matter, she behaves very aggressively towards me to the point where I can't even pet her or touch her without her hissing, swatting at me, or trying to bite me. However, as soon as everyone leaves, or her other owner goes to sleep and shuts her door she is the most loving cat in the world to me. How do I get her to always be that loving cat? What changes her behavior when others are around? It was funny at first but now it's really just frustrating.

Asked by Member 1139943 on Nov 10th 2012 Tagged bipolar, behavior, crazy, aggressive, personality, change in Aggression

Answers

I've often said that if we could figure out why cats act as they do and publish a book about it, we'd be gazillionaires. Sometimes, the best offense is a good defense. If you know she'll react like this toward you, then you must not attempt interaction with her until you are once again alone with her. Does she act like this toward your roommate as well? It might help if the two of you sat with her on the floor and indulged her in some kitty playtime. Share the feeding and litter scooping with your roommate. It's possible that if you and your roomie present a united front, it may convince the cat that it's OK to be nice to you when you're not alone with her.