Tajar

Cat attacking my feet

Recently, Tajar has begun to attack my legs and feet in the early morning (5-6 am) while I am still in bed. I read somewhere that when this happens, I should pick him up and place him on the floor. I have been doing this but I think he sees this as a game and often jumps back up several times to attack my feet again. I am looking for other ways to dis-encourage this behavior. I live in a studio apartment, so the only door to separate him from me involves putting him in the bathroom.

I am unsure whether it would be a reasonable thing to put him in the bathroom for some time when he attacks my feet? Is this an instance where I should spray him? I don't mind him on the bed, just that he is attacking my feet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Asked by Tajar on Aug 28th 2010 Tagged attack in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Midnight

There shouldn't be a problem with putting him in the bathroom as long as he a litterbox and other neccessities in there. Some toys wouldn't hurt either seeing as he seems to be quite energetic in the mornings.

Midnight answered on 8/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My kitten does that but I have found they out grow it. However, I also place her on the floor when she behaves like that. Stella knows the meaning of the word no. I have found that when I put her down on the floor, she gets distracted by something else and goes off to play.

Rain

My cats do this and it seems to be one of two things for them. One, I'm unintentionally moving. I flex my feet sometimes and under the blanket it's a tempting movement for a cat to attack. Another is they just want attention and they've found pawing at you gives it to them. Maybe get him some extra toys to play with? I stuff mine with catnip so it's extra appealing to my cats. Also make sure he has food, water, clean litterbox and isn't trying to get your attention to fix one of those things. The bathroom wouldn't be a problem but if you have a clawer or crier you might have a bigger issue as he tries to get out.

Rain answered on 11/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Owen

My oldest cat, who is only about a year, does this to my husband and my husband only. I think he associates my husband with 'play time' because sometimes my husband will move his feet back and forth intentionally to play with him. It got to the point that the cat wouldn't stop and would do it everynight and it was bothering my husband. He just ignored the behavior and laid very still until the cat stopped. Now my cat will bat at his feet a few times and if my husband doesn't move them he knows it's not time to play. I wouldn't lock your cat up because he/she may get angry and start destructive behavior. When my cats are accidentally locked in a room they tear at the carpet. Cats are also known to urinate when angry. So I would just try ignoring the behavior and laying still. I think your cat will get the point.

Owen answered on 12/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Esme

Only one of my cats does this. I trained her to know what "mommyfeet" means. lol. I yell "mommyfeet!" and she gets down on her own or moves to another part of the bed. She still tries to do it every morning, so I do have to keep reminding her, but usually 1 time and she moves. :)

Esme answered on 5/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Not sure how to stop it easily, but I have found sitting up and saying I am Up I am Up seems to get Maddie to stop.
Her grammy however would boot her from her bed and tell her to go sleep someplace else and that seems to work on many things she has done that she should not do.
The very act of the cat being told she or he cannot sleep with his or her human seems to be a good way of deterring bad behavior and encourage that good cat inside to come out.