Cat accidentally lets out small bits of poop in bed during the night?

My cat sleeps in my bed with me and recently I noticed small bits of cat poop left on the sheets (about less than 1/4 inch big) or sometimes a tiny tiny wet spot with a small bit of poop in it. It seems like she accidentally does this during the night while sleeping or laying down. This isn't really diarrhea, is it? Does anybody know what causes this and how to prevent it? I've been changing sheets and doing the laundry almost every day now. I'll be taking her to the vet soon but I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks!

Asked by Member 869697 on Aug 21st 2009 Tagged poop, bed, digestiveproblem, diarrhea in Health & Wellness

Answers

Chances are she's not getting cleaned off well enough or not grooming herself well enough after she uses the litter box. I doubt if she is actually pooping on your bed. From now on, keep an eye on her "back parts" to see if she has any feces stuck there. This can be pulled off with a Kleenex or toilet paper or combed off if not stuck too tight. You also might want to ask a groomer to cut her fur close around her back end to stop feces from sticking.

Izzie's advice is good. If she has long hair, it's very likely it is just cling-ons that stuck in her fur. And especially if she is young she will probably outgrow the hygeine issue. All of mine (except Maggie who has short hair) had issues with leaving accidental droppings all over the place but have gotten much better as they got older. I just kept unscented baby wipes handy and checked the butts when I saw them use the litterbox. Kira especially because she had polyps in her nose and can not smell very well since her surgery so she always had a stinky bottom until I had it shaved. As a matter of fact, after going through the stressful event of having her butt shaved, she is trying much harder to keep herself clean as the fur grows back. But when she sees the vet it is definitely a good idea to ask about it if you do not feel that it is just poo that stuck to her fur from the litterbvox.

Carlyjean

She may have problems with her anal glands. If her poop isn't hard enough to express them she made need a different food or her anal glands expressed.

Carlyjean answered on 10/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer