Cali

Can you tell if a cat is abandoned? I have an un-neutered male cat that has been visiting my house for the past month.

This cat is not very clean but is pretty thick, not boney. He whines for food and hangs around a little during the day but always sleeps outside my basement window at night. He has slept outside my house continuously every night for the past month. He also has pretty badly scared ears. I am assuming he is a stray or abandoned because he is people friendly. I want to get him shots and get him neutered, however, I do not know if it is safe enough to say that he has no owener.

Asked by Cali on Jan 23rd 2011 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

I was feeding a cat outside for weeks before realizing he just liked my food better than the junk the neighbor was giving him. I thought he had been abandoned but he just had a careless owner. If he is hanging around more often than not and does not seem to go away at night or disappear for long periods of time, then he may be homeless. I would try asking around the neighborhood. Sometimes others are feeding the same "stray" or remember that some neighbor moved away and left their cat behind. But if you do take him to the vet, have them check for a microchip before paying for shots and things. And maybe call animal control or local shelters to see if anyone reported him missing.

The previous poster offers good advice. I feed feral and stray cats. Lately it has been bitter cold and I have seen two new kitties around, but not for long. I can't imagine why any owner would let their cat out in extreme cold weather to begin with. If this cat is sleeping outside your basement window at night, chances are he's been abandoned. Has anyone moved lately? I find it highly unlikely that he has a microchip if he's not neutered. Responsible pet owners will at least spay/neuter their pets. Some will also have their pet microchipped. Feral cat rescuers are even having cats/kittens microchipped when they are altered. I would take the kitty to a vet and get him fixed ASAP! You don't want him to go around and impregnate all the unspayed females in the area. Best of luck to you and kitty. Thanks for taking care of him. That's more than his negligent owner ever did.

I agree with the other posters. If this cat DOES have an owner, it's not a very good one. No court in the land would "convict" you for trying to help this poor guy out. If he will come to you, it should be easy to get him into a carrier and have him vetted/neutered. If someone claims him, go to your local animal warden through your police department, or to a local humane rescue. They will help you deal with any fallout from this cat's owner, if he has one. I've found that just saying you will take your "case" to a local television station or newpaper will quiet any protests from the "loving owner" of the cat. Don't worry about it and do what you need to do for this little guy. And God Bless you for caring!