Can you teach an older cat to play?

We adopted our 13 yr old cat from a shelter when she was two months old. As far as we know she never learned to play. We now have five more active cats and kittens ranging from six months to six years. When they try to play with her she hisses at them and sometimes it leads to tussles. Is there some way that we can teach her to play at such an advanced age or is it a lost cause? If we can, should we do separate play sessions with her alone? I want to know. It seems that she feels left out sometimes.

Asked by Member 971242 on Feb 15th 2014 Tagged oldercat, play in Socialization

Answers

If she wanted to play, she would have done it by now. I have a 15 year old that will play with me, but not with the 6 month old kitten. However, he will interact with the other three cats and dog. All cats have the pounce on prey instinct, but your cat never developed it indoors. Give her a toy when she is alone and see if anything happens. If she shows no interest, then give it to the others. My folks' cat does not play either, she is 12 and an obese only cat. Bird watching might be more your cat's thing- buy her a cat condo; or maybe treats- try feline Greenies for her teeth. There are other ways to engage her instead of playing... try to explore those instead. ^_^