can you give a cat tylenol for pain?

took bub in for nutoring and front claws removed. They sent me home with a liq. med. that leaked out on the floor of the car, asked them if they would replace it and I got no you have to buy more. They use reg. meds bottels instead of twist tops. On a fixed income and afford to buy more, my husband said to open a tyl. cap mix in water and give it to him like the med that was sent half way home. If not what can I use?

Asked by Member 967684 on Mar 5th 2010 Tagged pain, tylenol in Medications

Best Answer

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

Tylenol is toxic to cats. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE TYLENOL!!!!!!

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on Mar 5th.

Answers

ABSOLUTELY NOT! As the other poster stated, Tylenol is TOXIC to cats. Call your vet and ask them if they will give the cat a pain injection if you bring it in. See the vet tech instead of the vet to keep costs down.

That vet is a real hard--um--heart! Mine would have replaced the meds right away! The other posters are right. Tylenol will be fatal for your cat. Call the vet back and ask if you can get the medicine on a payment plan of some sort. It makes me so angry when vets do this!

Spike

Oh, no no no. Your vet sounds singularly unsympathetic. I hope you haven't given Bub any Tylenol yet. I (the Human) have had a history of osteoarthritis, and am obsessed with researching medications via the Internet. I have read that Tylenol would not be allowed to be sold under new health guidelines--but is still being sold because it once passed as safe. In fact, a Tylenol overdose is a convenient way to commit suicide (no, don't try it). Some irresponsible cat owners give their cats Tylenol to kill them. It works. I'm not being hostile here, just trying to let you and other readers know that Tylenol is not a benign drug. And you should never give OTC meds to kitties. Try to find a more sympathetic vet, and one who will charge nominal fees or a payment plan. Your local shelter may have advice. However--none of my cats have needed pain meds after being neutered or spayed. Your cat is almost guaranteed to not be in pain now. Sending purrs and prayers your way...

Spike answered on 3/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer