Can you feed a cat expired cat treats?

I bought a ton of cat treats a couple years ago and they are expired. My cat seems to like them is it safe to feed them to him?

Asked by Member 1102615 on Mar 27th 2012 Tagged expiredtreats in Treats

Answers

If it were me and my cats, I don't think I would. It's possible to tell by the smell of the treats if they're "off", but with all the current hoo-hah about poisonous treats from foreign countries, I wouldn't feed "old" treats b/c you never know if they were recalled or not. A few years ago, the "Greenies" treats were under scrutiny for causing sicknesses in cats. There are always sales on cat treats and they aren't as expensive as cat food. Since you only feed one or two at a time, they also last longer than food does. Again, if it were me, I wouldn't take a chance. Just because your cat will eat them doesn't mean they're safe for him. A cat will eat a toxic plant too and that could kill him or make him very ill. Toss the treats and buy fresh.

Smithwick

It probably wouldn't be so bad if they were just recently expired, but a few years is way too much. If you get a bunch on sale, maybe try storing them i the freezer to keep fresh. You wouldn't want to eat cookies or ships that were a few years old I am sure, and there could be ingredients that can go rancid in those treats. Toss em!

Smithwick answered on 3/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer