shasta

Can somebody please help me identify what breed I am?

people have told me they think i am turkish angora. I have a lot of physical traits and personality traits of a turkish angora. I dont want to be a show cat, I just want to know what group I belong to

just curious

Asked by shasta on Feb 5th 2009 in Turkish Angora

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Shasta is beautiful! Unless you got her from a licensed reputable breeder and she is registered with papers - she is not a purebred, she is a Domestic Longhair. Domestic mix cats can sometimes resemble purebreds, but only purebreds breed true to type. Turkish Angoras are also not very common so it's really not very likely she is a Turkish Angora or Turkish Angora mix. Guessing the background of a Domestic mix cat is just that - a guess. She's a beautiful cat though and does not need a breed.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 2/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Mr. Fez. Without papers from a breeder or being from a purebred rescue, Shasta would be considered a Domestic Long Haired cat. But a very beautiful red haired one!! Check out the breed standards on www.CFA.org. Shasta's tail is actually much poofier than a Turkish Angora's tail. It's even poofier than any of my persians. That's a pretty cool tail!

With the rings on her beautiful, poufy tail and her attraction to water, I wonder if Shasta doesn't have some Maine Coon in her?

She's a beauty no matter what her pedigree. She's probably like Oscar and just too interesting to be one breed. :D

I agree with the other posters. At cat shows the Turkish Angoras come after the Norwegian Forest Cats, who come after the Maine Coons, and I've seen a lot of Turkish Angoras. They have a very distinctive look; generally, they are smallish, slim cats with very erect ears and tails that are not very fluffy. Although classified as long haired cats, they do not have particularly long fur. I would say that you are a domestic medium/long hair, with the possibility of having some Maine Coon blood (that tail!). Your face, however, is pure generic American moggie. I think part of the confusion comes from the fact that for years, long haired cats were commonly called Angoras. However, as has been pointed out, the Turkish Angora breed is actually quite rare, and it was years before Turkey actually let them out of the country. The history of the Turkish Angora is quite interesting; you can read about it on Wikipedia or the CFA website.