Can my cat be helped? He attacks me and others.

My cat, Magneto (he's a year and a half old), is a bit obsessed with me. He's very cuddly and sweet, but then he'll suddenly attack. He's all teeth (he has no front claws) and he draws blood and leaves scars. If he feels like I don't spend enough time with him, he'll attack me. If I have people over, he starts getting agitated and will start hissing or doing his, "i'm a pretty kitty please pet me" routine which ends in him suddenly biting. He will actually actively stalk people when they come over, and he has made several of my friends bleed. A friend was reaching past him for something and he latched onto her arm, and she had blood running down from bite marks. When I took him to get fixed, he would try to attack the vet and charge the cage. He was fine and cried then jumped into my arms when I went to pick him up. He bit my ankle last night and left big bloody teeth marks and I'm swollen. I'm at my wit's end and I don't want to put him down because most of the time he's an angel.

Asked by Member 744026 on Sep 28th 2008 Tagged attacking, biting, bite, attack, anger in Aggression

Answers

Some cats get overexcited when you pet them and this tips them into attacking/biting.

Put him in another room when you have people over. You need to figure out what makes him excited/bite - some cats can only be stroked/petted on their backs or for a very short time. Does he show other warning behaviour before he bites? Maybe flicking his tail, wide eyes, ears back etc - if so thats a sign to stop stroking him etc.

Also try using Feliway which is a good way to calm cats and may help Magneto mellow out.

It sounds serious enough that you should consult your vet or an animal behaviouralist to help you with Magneto. There are drugs like kitty-prozac that may help and they could help you figure out what triggers his behavior and avoid it.

Euthanasia is a final solution and really should not be considered unless all other avenues have been explored. Have you spoken to your vet about Magneto's peculiar habit? Your vet not only knows him, but also other cats and owners who may have had the same problem. Delilah herself will occasionally bite when she's had enough, but she shows signs; growling, ears back, trying to get away. You don't say how you acquired Magneto, but it's possible that he was abused in his past life. When your friend reached past him, it may have appeared to him that she was going to hit him. If you can establish a routine with Magneto, say, play with him EVERY night before you go to bed, then he'll count on that and wait for it. His hissing routine may not be one that asks to be petted, but may be one that says "leave me alone!" That's usually what hissing means. Please ask your vet for advice since they know Magneto before you consider euthanasia.

Tabby

Typically we do see such behavioral changes in cats that are declawed. You have mentioned that he doesnt have front claws so I assume he was declawed. It would have been very traumatic for him that he now uses his teeth as a tool of protection. You need to definitely talk to his Vet and make sure you see a behavioral specialist if needed. I do not know if you had him declawed or his previous owner. So am not going to hold it against you but whoever did it should have known this is a possible effect. So putting down the kitty for what the humans did is not fair. If you are unable to handle him, give him up to a rescue shelter (no kill one) so that they can take care of him instead of you putting him to sleep!

Tabby answered on 9/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

this is my question asked but as people had not known about magneto's past i'll fill it in:
i've had him since he was a kitten. he didn't used to be like this, then he stayed with my friend for two months (no abuse there, i went to visit him often) while i stayed with my sister and ever since i got him back, he has been like this. he shows NO signs before attacking me. he will be curled up to me one second then viciously biting and drawing blood. i got him declawed because the landlord said i had to otherwise i couldn't have him. i do cuddle and play with him every single day, but he still does this. he's definitely not attention starved at all. his behavior change happened before he got declawed, even when he had his front claws he was all teeth when he attacked. one vet assistant called me and tried to talk me into putting him to sleep when he was there getting fixed because of his behavior. he doesn't hiss to be pet, he does it sometimes before he attacks, and sometimes he doesn't.

Henry (1996-2010)

I don't want to get into a discussion about how declawing can change a cat's personality (biting is often a compensation for not having claws), instead let's talk about solutions.

A poster (in another post) recommended prozac. Well, this may just be the ticket. Growing up we had a cat (who recently passed) that was poisoned when she was little and almost died. It left her a little off mentally and very moody--one minute you'd be petting her on your lap and the next she'd get down and pee on your shoes. She often would sneak attack, and you couldn't touch her head or she'd freak. After trying many things, our family vet recommended "kitty prozac" and she definitely mellowed, and became a super friendly kitty. She still had her moments, but she was much better.

Try everything you can before putting him down, even a new, quieter home. Your vet should check for any neurological problems. Too bad you can't reverse the declawing, as I'm sure this would help with the biting.

Henry (1996-2010) answered on 9/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella (In Loving Memory)

Since you don't have a catster account you can't send me a pawmail I don't think and I'm pretty sure you can't post your email addresses here so if you decide to start and account for magneto please send me a pawmail, I might be able to offer some suggestions for him!

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 9/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer