Midnight *Rest In Peace*

Can I use baby shampoo on my long-haired Maine Coon if cat/pet shampoo isn't availible?

My maine coon-mix has what I believe is dandruff on lots of dead skin flakes in her fur. She's a solid black cat so they're very noticable and I want to give her a bath. I went to both the local grocery store and pet store and because I live in a small town and I'm not able to drive yet, they're the best I can do but have very limited shampoo and conditioner options. They have only huge bottles of dog shampoo and conditioner which I would never be able to use up so I'm wondering whether or not I can use a gentle baby shampoo and conditioner. Tips on bathing a long-haired cat would also be great! Thanks!
Midnight's owner

Asked by Midnight *Rest In Peace* on Aug 30th 2010 Tagged babyshampoolonghairbathing in Bathing

Best Answer

First of all, make sure you have help if you want to give her a bath. If she doesn't like getting wet (and most cats don't) you'll wind up looking like you were attacked by Freddy Krueger. Actually, a groomer once told me that unless you send your cats out coal-mining, they really don't need to be bathed. Cats do a wonderful job of grooming themselves. A thorough daily brushing can work wonders with loose fur, dandruff and to keep away mats, the bane of a long-haired cat's existence. Baby Shampoo is highly detergent and can dry out her skin. This could cause more flakes. Try the frequent brushing first to see if that doesn't help.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Aug 30th.

There Are No Other Answers